My Chaos Cultists

My Chaos Cultists

Sunday 13 April 2014

Chaos Space Marines vs Iron Hands 1750 pts

There's a whole lot of proxy going on. As we are trying to determine what to bring to the tournament, my opponent and I have decided to proxy in things we don't have yet. If you don't like  proxy and you don't like unpainted armies, then I'm sorry, but this is going to happen anyway.

You can find my Chaos Space Marine List here.

Iron Hands 1750 points:

HQ - Chapter Master, with Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal, Bike, Burning Blade
TROOPS - One unit of 8 Bikers, 1 Meltagun, 1 Flamer, Attack Bike with Multimelta
TROOPS - Two Tactical Squads of 10 marines with 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Meltagun all inside a rhino
TROOPS-  One unit of 10 Scouts with 9 Sniper Rifles and 1 Missile Launcher
FAST - Two Storm Talons, One with Typhoon Missile Launcher, and one with Skyhammer
HEAVY - Stalker
HEAVY - Thunderfire Cannon
HEAVY - Centurion Devastators with Grav Cannons and Grav Amp

Mission: The Relic
Deployment: Dawn of War

Warlord Traits:
Iron Hands: Strategic Genius
Chaos Space Marines: Flames of Spite



Iron Hands deploy first and I was not able to steal the initiative.

Iron Hands Tech Marine attached to Thunderfire Cannon Bolsters Defenses on the Ruins that held the Scout Unit. Chaos Space Marine Warpsmith uses Shatter Defenses to bring it back down to 4+ cover save.

Iron Hands Deployment


Chaos Space Marines Deployment


Turn one saw me lose my cultist meat shield that was protecting the rhino that held my HQ, and a wound caused to one of my spawn (thanks to the thunderfire cannon). That gives first blood to Iron Hands. One of my rhinos lost a hull point, I lost one Havok with an Autocannon(Being proxied by Chosen).

My Havocs tooks out two bikes. My defiler only got one.




Iron Hands rolls reserves and one Storm Talon enters the field.

Turn two and my Daemon Prince is taken out by the combined efforts of the centurions, Stalker, Storm Talon, and Scouts. The bike squad destroys a rhino, and wounds one more spawn which the Thunderfire Cannon finishes off. The Cannon also takes out my Havoc Champion.

I roll reserves and one of my heldrakes enters the board.

My heldrake destroys the storm talon and takes out 7 of the 10 scouts. My two havocs left in the Aegis defense line take out one more bike, with my Warpsmith in the rhino getting two more. My defiler takes out an entire unit of tactical marines that were hiding in a crater. My Chaos Spawn runs into the bike squad, And does no wounds but is promptly killed by the Chapter Master.


I'm just going to skip ahead a bit here. The bike unit finished off my Warpsmith with CSM bodyguards. This gave Iron Hands Slay the Warlord. Turn three saw a lot of units die at the hands of the stalker, and turn four is when the magic happened. Both sides rushed rhinos with five troops into each other's deployment zone effectively ensuring that linebreaker wouldn't be the points that decided the winner. Both sides let out their troops to try and make a run for the relic. My cultists started walking towards the relic in turn three and continued with this in turn four. My two units made a run in turn four instead of shooting. This brought the cultists to the bottom of the temple, and a dismal 1 on the CSM run meant they pretty much stayed where they were. I rolled my rhino right up in the way of the Iron Hands bikes to ensure my marines an extra turn to grab the relic.


Turn five left the loyalist and chaos marines shooting it out in a last ditch effort to stop the other from stealing the relic. While neither side was very successful due to the lack of line of sight, the Defiler shot the Battlecannon in hopes of clearing out those loyalist space marines. It hit dropping that unit down to one model. The game ended on turn 5, and this is an aerial view of the relic (which is the green cthulhu) at the end.


So my final thoughts. I really do think putting small units in Rhinos is the way to go. How could I have done better? Easy, put that Aegis Defense line in my deployment zone and deploy the Havocs in it right away so they could start pumping out the firepower in round one. This was a HUGE mistake on my part; one which I realized after the end of turn one. Also, I will take more plasma weapons next time as those Centurions and Chapter Master mean business. This was my first time playing them and they lived up to what I had read. All in all, it was a pretty close game and I learned a lot about what works in my list and what doesn't. Now I can take this knowledge and be better for the rematch.

No comments:

Post a Comment