My Chaos Cultists

My Chaos Cultists

Saturday 5 April 2014

My Most Feared Unit to Play Against

So, I'm listening to my favourite youtube content creator the other day, Fritz40K. I was watching this video in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW45ouQ9bWE

and while he raises a good point about the small blast templates being way less effect then their larger counterparts, it did made me think about the Thunderfire Cannon.

As of late I have been playing against a lot of marine lists. In every single list there is at least one Thunderfire Cannon (sometimes two). This particular unit just devastates my front lines. I usually play 1000 points which I laden with tonnes of cheapies (yay! cultists!). But the Thunderfire cannon is tailor made to kill my poor zealots. I don't cry about it though because that's what my cultists are there for, right? Soak up all that barrage for hopefully two rounds to keep that thing from destroying my more expensive and powerful units before they get a chance to do anything.

So here is the thing, as I go up into the higher points in preparation for the tournament do I get rid of some of my cultists in order to take more chaos space marines in rhinos? Or should I just keep my cultist blobs? I'm going to write two lists in the next couple of days to test out each scenario, and then hopefully play them out against some Imperial Fists or Iron Hands. Do you think the Thunderfire Cannon is overrated? Do you think I'm completely off the mark? Feel free to comment and tell me your thoughts, I would love to hear what you have to say.

8 comments:

  1. who's the dirty thunderfire cannon user.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest you some infiltrating/outflanking units to take those pesky thunderfire cannons out. You could also employ some Helldrakes. They will get rid of them very quickly and (hopefully) painfully. Just as Chaos likes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny story. I have yet to roll my heldrakes in from reserve. They always come out turn four.

      Delete
    2. Well, if you have bad luck then even a special "I win" roll made on 2+ with a re-roll won't do :D

      Delete
  3. Lol. I like that special rule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you go up in points consider getting a bastion (scratch-build one so you can put the 4 Heavy Bolters where YOU want them) and a Comms Relay. Rerolls are nearly mandatory for a codex that relies so heavily on Turn 2.

    ReplyDelete