My Chaos Cultists

My Chaos Cultists

Monday 7 April 2014

Public Service Announcement: Nerd Rage

I wanted to take a moment to talk about, what we in the hobby affectionately call, "Nerd Rage" and what it is doing to the community.

We have all been there, GW is raising prices, our favourite codex was rewritten horribly (hello, Adeptus Sorotitas), "OMG THE SCREAMER-STAR!", etc. We get upset. We are all humans, it is bound to happen. But nerd rage is a completely different beast. That is where we go online to the forums, or to our game group and we decide to vent. This venting soon turns to name calling and down right overwhelming negativity. Heaven forbid someone disagrees with our opinion while in rage mode. That's when the inner troll comes out.

Now this is something that has to stop. It's poisoning our community. It ruins the atmosphere of our online forums and it makes people really step back from you and the point you are trying to make. Now I love a good discussion about controversial things, but it has to be a discussion and not a flame war. You need to encourage people to join in the dialogue. That's how the hobby grows and gets better.

And here is the biggest thing for me: what are you actively doing to deal with the things that enrage you? Models are too expensive?  Do you still buy them? If you do, you are proving to GW that their prices are reasonable. Is a broken codex grinding your gears? Maybe house rules are the way to go or return to fifth edition(which also saves you money since you don't have to buy new items). You don't like broken combinations? I would suggest talking to your opponent. Maybe both parties can agree to not use certain units.

It is up to us to create a warm and friendly gaming atmosphere for everyone. We need to encourage civilized discussion. If you are looking for a safe online community in order to discuss and share your love of warhammer 40k I suggest:

www.thewarmaster.com

I am an active member and we would love to have you join us.

2 comments:

  1. That's some good thinking I see here... With the nerd rage mode I agree with you completely. As for the "broken Codex" issue unfortunately, I do not. No codex is broken. I have read the Adepta Sororitas Codex. It is really hard to play, but not impossible. They come really cheap and if played well, can easily overwhelm you in great numbers. Not to mention that immolator spam. I remember when eldar were about to appear with their new OP codex. When I showed up on a tournament everybody were shocked that somebody still plays eldar. They were shocked even more when it turned out the eldar got second place. You should see their faces! Some codexes are easier to play than the others, but that does not mean that any of them is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All extremely valid points. I think I'm most upset that they have fewer units than ever. I'm not saying they are impossible to play, or that no one should try them. I really hope they just cram grey knights and AS into one codex(and plastic models wouldn't hurt).

    As for me, I play what I want and generally don't get upset if my codex isn't "tier one"(I play CSM after all). I may not agree with how AS was handled but that doesn't make me go into fits of hulk rage.

    ReplyDelete